Sports Update: April 28 Action

Sports Update: April 28 Action

Calvin Rosevear and Calvin Rosevear

GIRLS’ VARSITY LACROSSE SUFFERS LOSS TO UNIVERSITY

The girls’ varsity lacrosse team lost to University High School 14-7 on April 28 in San Francisco. This brings their overall record to 2-11 and their league record to 0-7.

Despite the score, Natalie Butler, one of the girls’ coaches, was pleased with the game. “We played an amazing game. [It was] probably our best of the season,” Butler said. “[Sophomore] Lucky Shulman…was our lead scorer and we had some new players really stand out.”

VARSITY BASEBALL WINS THIRD STRAIGHT GAME, BEATS REDWOOD

The varsity baseball team beat division rival Redwood High School by a score of 3-2 on April 28 at home.  This completed their third straight win, put their league record at 7-5, and brought their overall record to 13-5.

“It was a big league win and good for our overall section playoff rankings as Redwood was the top ranked team in Division Two as well as first place in MCALs,” head coach Scott Osder said. “[It was a] very intense game.”

Sophomore Jack Harris pitched six and one third innings and senior Mason Collins closed. “Our offense is improving and has been a major emphasis in practice,” Osder said.

BOYS’ VARSITY LACROSSE BEATS SAN RAFAEL 15-5

The boys varsity lacrosse team beat San Rafael High School 15-5 on April 28, bringing their overall record to 6-11 and league record to 3-4. Senior Jake Isola-Henry led the team with seven goals and five assists.

“The team played well,” head coach Scott Jennings said. “We won our individual match-ups on offense and clamped down defensively.”

VARSITY SOFTBALL SUFFERS LOSS TO SAN MARIN

The varsity softball team lost to San Marin 8-4 on April 27, bringing their MCAL league record to 4-4 and their overall record to 9-5.

“[The] loss was a tough one against a good team but hopefully we’ll see them again in playoffs,” said head coach Erin Lawley. “We’re still in the hunt for MCAL and NCS playoffs with eight more MCAL games left in the season.”

In the loss, Jessie Scarsella recorded five strikeouts and a 2 RBI hit. Senior and captain Chloe Jacobs returned for her first game in MCAL league play after recovering from an injury. She reached base three times.

BOYS’ VARSITY GOLF TAKES SIXTH AT MCALS

The boys’ varsity golf team took sixth place at this year’s MCAL tournament, shooting 430 at Peacock Gap golf course on April 27. Branson took first with 375.

“We earned the right to play in the MCAL Tournament this year by finishing the season 12-6 overall,” said head coach and Tam PE teacher Dustin Nygaard. “We were led by senior [and Tam News Editor-in-Chief] Riley Kuffner who shot a 77.”