Sports Recap: Week of 4/27

John Hefti

BOYS’ VARSITY TENNIS LOSES MCAL MATCH

The boys’ varsity tennis team lost 5-4 in an MCAL tournament on April 28, bringing their MCAL league record to 13-3 and their overall record to 16-10. They await to hear whether they get into the North Coast Section Division I (NCS) tournament. They will know by May 10.

“Although I know some of the players were disappointed in their performances, I thought we competed well and gave it pretty much everything we could muster,” head coach Bill Washauer said.

GIRLS’ VARSITY SOCCER BEATS BRANSON

The girls’ varsity soccer team beat Branson 2-1 on April 30 at Branson, giving them the top seed for the playoffs.

“We played a strong game and came from behind to win,” head soccer coach Shane Kennedy said.

BOYS’ VARSITY VOLLEYBALL FINISHES THE SEASON STRONG

The boys’ varsity volleyball team beat Novato 3-2 in five sets on April 30 in Novato, finishing their season with an overall record of 3-14 and a league record of 2-7. Seniors Yusuf Azam and Blake Thelander had 14 kills each, senior Poy Khaophaun had 35 assists, and junior Owen Bisson had 28 digs.

“[It was] an extremely exciting match where the seniors led the way,” head coach Chris Glave said. “[The boys’ varsity volleyball team] will be very successful next year with some strong returning players and incoming freshman.”

VARSITY SOFTBALL COMPLETES SECOND SEASON WIN OVER NOVATO

The varsity softball team beat Novato 4-1 at home on April 30, completing their second season win over Novato and bringing their overall record to 10-5 and their MCAL league record to 5-4.

Junior Jessie Scarsella went two for three with a homerun and three total RBIs. Scarsella also pitched a complete game, allowing just four hits, two walks, and striking out four players.

VARSITY BASEBALL LOSES TO SAN MARIN

The varsity baseball team lost 3-0 at San Marin on May 1, bringing their overall record to 13-6 and their league record to 7-6. Senior Mason Collins took the loss.

“[We] Gave up three runs in the bottom of the fourth,” head coach Scott Osder said. “[We] couldn’t do much offensively.”

TAM BEATS SAN RAFAEL IN CO-ED SWIMMING/DIVING COMPETITION

The swimming/diving teams beat San Rafael in a competition on May 1. San Rafael had no divers. Senior Ethan Daniel took first and freshman Eli Ferrel took second for the boys diving team. Freshman Sasha Greeneschmitz took first, freshman Maddie Asch took second, and freshman Madeline Cook took third for the girls’ diving team.

This earned points for the swim team and helped Tam overcome San Rafael. The MCAL meet will be on May 7 at Redwood for diving and May 8 at Drake.