Sports Recap: Week of 9/14

BOYS VARSITY WATER POLO WINS AT SAN RAFAEL

The boys varsity water polo team won 17-6 at San Rafael on September 15 for their first MCAL game of the season, bringing their overall record to 6-2. Senior Jackson Hettler, junior Kevin McDougal, and junior Nate Gelbach each scored three times in the win.

GIRLS VARSITY GOLF WINS AT SAN MARIN

The girls varsity golf team won at San Marin 215-239 on September 16, bringing their overall record to 4-2 and their MCAL record to 3-2. The team was led by junior Sabrina Haechler’s 52, junior Courtney Chang’s 53, and senior Maddie Stoops’ 54. “I have told the team that they should not take any team lightly and although we have been under the radar, most teams would love to knock us off knowing that we are one of the better squads in the League,” said head coach John Haight.

CROSS COUNTRY RUNS FIRST LEAGUE MEET

The cross country team competed in their first league meet on September 16. They ran at their home course in a four-way meet against Branson, Terra Linda, and Justin Siena. The boys team beat Branson 15-46, Terra Linda 19-37, and Justin Siena 19-42, winning against all three teams. The girls did the same, beating Branson 25-33, Terra Linda 15-50, and Justin Siena 25-35. Sophomore Lauren Tanel led the Tam girls, by placing fifth overall, and junior Neil Johnson placed first overall for the boys race. “Both [boys and girls] teams fared well in the first league meet,” said coach Sylvia Goodman.

BOYS VARSITY WATER POLO BEATS NOVATO AT HOME

The boys varsity water polo team beat Novato at home 19-6 on September 17, bringing their overall record to 7-2 and their MCAL record to 2-0. Sophomore Yonni Hirner led the scoring in the win with three goals. “[It was] a good week for Tam [water] polo,” said head coach Bob Kustel.

CROSS COUNTRY COMPETES AT DE LA SALLE INVITATIONAL

The cross country team competed at the De La Salle invitational in Concord on September 19. The girls JV team placed fifth overall in the meet. “The teams got great exposure to strong competition from larger East Bay schools,” said coach Sylvia Goodman.