Here’s the Scoop: Comparing Ice Cream Places Throughout Marin

Marin is certainly not lacking in ice cream shops to satisfy any craving for some of that cold, sugary goodness. While the number of ice cream places in Marin remains dwarfed by that of hair and nail salons, there is still an adequate number to offer some variety. Upon comparing and contrasting them all, here’s the scoop on some of Marin’s finest:

Best place to spend time: Swirl (Mill Valley)

With a huge TV displaying pictures of people in the community from years past, another showing sports games, usually the Giants, Swirl is a great place to hang out. The open space in the store has tables and chairs spread throughout, inviting people to stay. It’s open far later than other ice cream places in the area, keeping its doors open until 9 or 10 pm depending on the night. And for Tam students, you will often find classmates working behind the counter. Friend discounts, anyone?

Most creative flavors: Scoop (Fairfax)

In this quaint ice cream shop, everything is a little cramped and cluttered, but in an endearing way. A line always winds its way out the door and often down the street. Scoop definitely has the most creative flavors in Marin, ranging from Vanilla Honey Lavender to Earl Grey Tea to Latin Jazz, which is chocolate with chile. They think of combinations most people would never even dream of, but they always work to form delectable creations, making Scoop a huge favorite in Marin and keeping the locals in Fairfax coming back for years on end.

Classic: Woody’s (Mill Valley)

When you’re looking for just a scoop of ice cream, nothing too exciting, Woody’s is the place to go, despite its slightly out-of-the-way location in Strawberry. It seems to remain constant throughout the years, or at least until they were forced to raise their prices. It was the cheapest ice cream place around, but with a small now costing $4, Woody’s has been looking a little less appealing. However, it still remains a classic and many loyal customers continue to return for a scoop.

Best variety: Posie (Larkspur)

At this hip dessert parlor in Larkspur, you are immediately faced with an extensive menu chalked on the wall to your right. Ice cream sandwiched between kouign amann pastries, pie, brownies… the list is endless. It offers ice cream flavors such as Cookie Monster, Grass-Fed, and Buttered Whiskey. Its aesthetic interior draws you in and its unique plethora of desserts never fail to please.

Most overrated: Lappert’s (Sausalito)

Located right in the center of the tourist trap that is the main street of  Sausalito, Lappert’s draws in tired tourists each day. Overpriced and overly rich, it doesn’t seem to be worth the long wait. While its flavors are interesting and its location offers a beautiful bay view, it gets a bit too much attention.

Ice Cream ($ according to Yelp):

• Swirl (Mill Valley) $
  • Woody’s (Strawberry) $
  • Posie (Larkspur) $$
  • Three Twins (Larkspur) $
  • Lappert’s (Sausalito) $
  • Scoop (Fairfax) $