Flores: A Taste of Mexico

Zoe Cowan, Feature Editor

Opened in late 2018 in the space previously occupied by P.F. Changs, Flores is a welcome addition to the Corte Madera Town Center. The Mexican restaurant’s second location boasts a similar menu to their first in San Francisco, highlighting cuisine that honors Mexican tradition. The restaurant encourages family-style sharing, so most dishes can be ordered in a half or full size depending on how many people are in your party.

Upon walking in I was overwhelmed by the noise and commotion of the main room, sectioned off by various bars and dividers. The woven lamps, large leather chairs, and murals on the walls added interest to the upscale casual and friendly atmosphere. We made an online reservation, however were seated in the corner of the restaurant in a room that seemed like an afterthought, behind a wall. This dampened the noise slightly but left most of the restaurant out of view.

After being seated we were left alone for a little too long without service, but once our waiter came by he redeemed himself with his attentiveness for the remainder of the evening.

A starter of chips and salsa ($3) came with a bowl of slightly stale chips and spicy salsa. The Ensalada Verde ($8 half/ $15 full) which according to the menu came with gem lettuce, instead came with a mix of kale and romaine which was unexpected but enjoyable. It was studded with crunchy jicama and a small amount of avocado with a mild jalapeno dressing; a pleasant light start to the meal. Sopes de Palmito (three for $10) came with three cornmeal sopes topped with black beans, hearts of palm, onions, cheese, and avocado. They were satisfying and flavorful, but I could not taste any cheese. The crab tostadas (two for $15) came with a generous amount of Dungeness crab and the flavor and texture was light and fresh. The Carnitas ($21/39) came on a plate with fried pork rinds, refried black beans, a mild sauce, and three housemade tortillas. Some pieces of meat were dry and others were perfectly moist. The pork rinds were a strange addition, however the beans and sauce made for a delicious pairing with the meat. The Enchiladas de Pato ($16) were filled with duck confit and doused in a generous amount of salsa verde, topped with a drizzle of crema and queso fresco. The duck added an interested element to an otherwise ordinary enchilada. All of the dishes were enjoyable, but the ones worth ordering again were the Sopes de Palmito and Crab Tostadas.

For dessert we ordered the churros ($9) which came with a sprinkling of flakey salt and a dish of cajeta (sweetened condensed milk) sauce. The churros tasted great but were slightly dense and would have benefited from a sprinkle of cinnamon for a more interesting flavor. We also tried the Chocolate ($9), a slightly spicy chocolate pot de creme with whipped cream and a biscuit-like cookie. The serving size was huge, even for sharing between four people, as the richness of the dessert requires only a small amount to satisfy. The chocolate was a very thick, rich, ganache-like consistency with a subtle hint of spice. The churros are nothing special, but the Chocolate is absolutely worth a try.

Flores is a great destination for an occasional dinner, as the noise level and price point may be overwhelming for a regular dinner venue. Tasty fare meant to be shared combined with a a friendly staff is bound to satisfy everyone in your party.

Photos By Ethan Swope

About the Writer
Zoe Cowan, Features/Photo Editor

Zoe Cowan is a senior at Tamalpais High School and a Features and Photo Editor of The Tam News. She enjoys photography, making weird vegan food, and spending...