Wrestling team upbeat despite rough start

This year, the wrestling team has faced a myriad of challenges, and holds a record of 2-4 in the Marin County Athletic League (MCAL). Regardless, the team remains positive. “We have a small team this year, but we are a close knit group of guys,” said junior Ryan O’Boyle.

A physically small team, combined with very few experienced players, the squad has struggled thus far. The team has no seniors and only six juniors, but even so, team members and coaches believe that there is plenty of good to come of the situation.

“We are a young team, but that doesn’t seem to bother us. This is the first varsity team I have ever been on with no seniors. It is different, but I wouldn’t call it a bad thing,” said O’Boyle. “We have no trouble finding leadership and maturity within our team.”

The coaching staff also sees the team’s potential. “There are no seniors, but very mature juniors. Oliver Duler is our captain. A good thing about having these mature juniors is that next year we will get them back and [our team will be] even stronger,” coach Kelley Charlton said.

There is an agreement among the team, though, that size and age is not the true foundation of their problems; the problem is the low number of students that joined the team.

“The team is looking stronger than past years,” said Charlton. The problem, as she points out, is that the team “is missing two weight classes: 106 and 113.”

Coach Andre Salinas agrees, “If we could cover the 14 weight classes, we could beat anyone in the league. We have a quality team, but we just have too many holes in the lineup.”

And as O’Boyle pointed out, the schedule for the rest of the season is not going to be any easier, “We still have to face Redwood and Novato, two very good programs.”