The Tam News

Chemistry lab mistake causes fire alarm

Wesley Emblidge

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






During seventh period on Friday, March 16, only a few minutes before school was over, the fire alarm was triggered by a student in Dr. Leslie Hart’s chemistry class. The class was performing a series of chemical reaction labs, and the student ignited too much magnesium in a bunsen burner. “I saw it light out of the corner of my eye, and turned around to see a blazing light [coming from one of the lab stations],” said sophomore Max McQuaid.

Moments after igniting the magnesium, Dr. Hart had the student put it out. “A couple seconds after, the fire alarm started going off.” said sophomore Paul Fuchs. Nothing was damaged and no one was hurt, and the alarm was shut off soon after that.

1 Comment

One Response to “Chemistry lab mistake causes fire alarm”

  1. Eric Bailey on March 18th, 2012 6:41 pm

    Good thing they had fire alarm installed.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




Navigate Left
  • Chemistry lab mistake causes fire alarm

    News

    Photos: Controlled Burn on Horse Hill Prepares for Upcoming Fire Season

  • Chemistry lab mistake causes fire alarm

    News

    District adds CECs at Tamiscal, Drake

  • Chemistry lab mistake causes fire alarm

    News

    Prom exchange aims to make dresses affordable

  • Chemistry lab mistake causes fire alarm

    News

    Student anti-sexual harassment initiative holds first fundraiser

  • Chemistry lab mistake causes fire alarm

    News

    Ramping Up: Tam students spur skate park renovation

  • Chemistry lab mistake causes fire alarm

    News

    District updates school safety plan

  • Chemistry lab mistake causes fire alarm

    News

    Board approves new teacher contract

  • Chemistry lab mistake causes fire alarm

    News

    Junior Lily Bogas wins state poetry competition

  • Chemistry lab mistake causes fire alarm

    News

    Marin County Sheriff’s Dept. discovers weapons, drugs in abandoned vehicle

  • Chemistry lab mistake causes fire alarm

    News

    Board approves $3 million in budget cuts

Navigate Right
The Student News Site of Tamalpais High School
Chemistry lab mistake causes fire alarm