Boys lacrosse goes to NCS

Boys lacrosse goes to NCS

SAVE: Goalie Trent Miller blocks a shot during the NCS quarterfinals against Marin Catholic. Photo courtesy of Dina Falk

Brent Ferguson

VICTORY: As soon as the air horn sounded, the team ran onto the field to celebrate their win on May 16 against the Sonoma Academy Coyotes. Photo courtesy of Dina Falk.

GAME 1: SONOMA ACADEMY

Tam’s boys varsity lacrosse team beat Sonoma Academy 9-8 in the first game of the NCS championship.

The game started off with senior Graeme Black scoring off a jump shot, while sophomore Kevin Leake stayed strong the entire game and scored the other eight goals. This is Leake’s new personal record for the most goals scored in a game.

Tam started off with a bad first half losing 3-6, but retaliated in the second and third quarter and eventually tied the Sonoma Coyotes at 7-7.

The last quarter was a heart stopper; moments into the quarter, Sonoma scored. Leake then cut towards the goal, was fed the ball, and scored to tie the score again at 8-8.

With only a few minutes left in the game, Leake got another feed from junior Jackson Porter and scored the final goal. 47 seconds remained as both teams set up for the final face off. Sonoma won the face-off and sprinted towards the Tam goal and shot. Tam’s goalie, junior Trent Miller, blocked it to win the game.

GAME 2: MARIN CATHOLIC

Tam’s first NCS victory earned the eighth-seeded Hawks (8-8) a spot against top-seeded Marin Catholic (16-5) in the quarterfinals on Saturday, May 19 at MC. Tam came out strong with senior Graeme Black scoring the first goal, but MC turned up the heat in the second half, outscoring Tam by only one goal. Tam had fresh talent in its lineup, Freshman Jake Isola-Henry, pulled up for playoffs, scored his first varsity goal. Tam’s season came to an end defeated by the Wildcats 4-14. Tam Lacrosse is on the move; this is the farthest Tam has made it in NCS in its second season making an appearance in NCS playoffs.

FROM THE ALLEY: Attackman Eric Rothlind fires off a shot on the run while playing against Marin Catholic. Photo courtesy of Dina Falk