Boys tennis goes to NCS

Tam’s boys tennis team carried their momentum from a strong MCAL finish in the regular season directly into the postseason but just short of rivals Redwood in the championship game in Larkspur 4-5. “Our team has been incredible over the last 2 months. After some friction in the beginning of the year, we have really come together and are playing for each other as much or more than we are playing for ourselves.” said Tam’s # 1 sophomore Brendan Austen.

Tam entered the season as a perennial threat to contend for a championship. Other then a rocky start Tam looked domiant “The biggest turning point in my mind was how we responded after our rough start to the season. We started 1-2 and lost to both Redwood and Branson within the same week.” said Austen.

Despite being the hottest team heading into the finals they lost to Redwood in a match score of 4-5. Senior Sam Schlager said, “It was a tough loss, it was close but we just weren’t able to get that extra match.”

This season the team has depth with quality players and has had to fill the left by injured senior Noah Jaffe. “Tennis is an individual sport, but when you add the team aspect, team chemistry becomes so important, much more than one may think especially is when it comes to winning tight matches down the stretch.” says Austen.

Tam still has a chance to salvage a pennant this season in the NCS tournament. “My biggest focus is doing everything to help our team win then NCS team title, cheering on my teammates and winning my matches,” said Austen.