Artist Highlight: Starr Ingram

Starr+Ingram+
Starr Ingram

Junior Starr Ingram displayed her drawings and paintings at the Mill Valley art and garden store Illumnigarden as part of the Mill Valley Tuesday Art Walk on October 1.

Many family friends and high school students, mainly from Ingram’s art class, came to see the work displayed.
The Art Walk, which happens on the first Tuesday of every month, showcases galleries set up by local artists in local businesses. Participants, who do not have to pay or register, can get a map of the art shows at any of the galleries.

Ingram’s show at Illumnigarden drew a small crowd, helped by the garden atmosphere of the gallery, as well as the food, drinks and music offered. Ingram’s work, which consists mainly of intricate drawings on cardboard often accompanied by found objects, was worked seamlessly into the outdoor garden space, illuminated by outdoor lanterns and surrounded by rustic furniture and sculpture. The show was called “Paradigm Shift” – a name chosen by Illumnigarden.

“Michael Pringle came up with it because he was doubtful about our generation… but changed his mind about us,” Ingram said. “I’d never met him before or anything, me and my friend walked in here, we thought it looked interesting, and talked to [last name] for a while about Game of Thrones and other things, and he brought up art… I mentioned I did art… and we organized the show.”

Ingram’s art conjures themes of nature and fantasy, with extensive use of patterns. “I draw what’s around me,” Ingram said, “The detail work, it’s from stuff around, the natural world and things at home.” Ingram also cites Pre-Raphaelite art as an inspiration; “I have a theory that art should be pretty, not scary and stuff. I want to make people happy,” she said.