Chinese New Year: the year of the dragon
By Ashley Townsend, Lifestyles editor • February 13, 2024
Celebration of Black Excellence in Marin
By Emerson Swift, Features Editor • February 12, 2024
CAASPP Testing is Moving to March
By Hillary Betz, Graphics Editor • February 12, 2024
Slim pickings for parking
By Molly Eisenberg, Reporter • February 6, 2024

Roberts Brings Experience to Counseling Program

Leslie Roberts, former college counselor at Ruth Asawa School of the Arts, a public high school in San Francisco, was hired as Tam’s new college and career counselor on October 21. Roberts has experience teaching language arts and history as well as helping kids of all ages with reading and writing.

She developed her passion of working with high school students through working in organizations that tutored students to prepare them for high school and college.

“I was a volunteer with 10,000 Degrees and 826 Valencia Street, and started to realize how much I loved working with high school students,” Roberts said. The variety that college counseling provides allows Roberts to work with many different students on many different tasks.

Roberts enjoys working with students one on one to build a balanced college applications list, drafting and revising essays, teaching in small groups, speaking to large groups of parents and students, and traveling around the country visiting colleges to find the best fit for her students.

Roberts has lived in Mill Valley before and is excited to return to the community. “I believe that whenever possible, it is important to work in one’s community. I have lived in Marin since 1998, and I have a freshmen daughter at Redwood. I have a special connection to Mill Valley because I lived here until I was in the middle of first grade,” said Roberts.

Roberts believes that one of the most important things that students can do is to learn to advocate for yourself. “It is important for parents to be involved in the college search and application process, but students should take the lead in contacting teachers, counselors, and college admissions reps,” Roberts said.

She also believes that students should be themselves when writing applications and essays so they end up somewhere they truly want to be. “Do your best at school, but seek balance in your life. Find out what you are passionate about, and pursue it,” Roberts said.