Model UN Club Expands

Tam’s Model UN club has doubled in size from 13 students last year to 26 students in just its second year. Model UN is a club where students are assigned to represent various countries in a mock conference involving other schools where they collaborate to confront world issues.

“Model UN is a great way for students to learn and discuss world issues,” said club advisor and social studies teacher Michael Rawlins. “Having this club allows our school to build the leaders of tomorrow.”

The club’s main goal last year was to attend the Model UN conference hosted at UC Berkeley. Going beyond their original plan, the club attended the UC Davis Model UN Conference along with a Delegate Workshop hosted at UC Berkeley later that year

“I originally started Model UN to allow students to have the opportunity to be aware of global problems and have the opportunity to speak their ideas,” club president and senior Elli Goldberg said.

“Our main goal is to attend many conferences this year. With new members, we want to create a more structured plan to prepare them,” said the club’s vice president, senior Amanda Fields. “With dedicated members, we…have developed the club significantly from last year.”

Club members hope to attend a conference that will be held at the United Nations in New York in March.

“We look forward to carrying on the club and striving to make it better every year,” said junior president and sophomore Arielle Garsson.