How to Get Your First Job

It’s that time of year again— when it seems as if every high school student is trying to nail the best part-time job for the summer. Whether it’s your first time applying for a job or your sixth, it never hurts to review the preliminary steps before you put on the official t-shirt.
1. Create a Resume.
Fill your resume with any past work experience, whether it be from a previous job, babysitting, or even community service. Along with stating your experience, give a short description of what each job entailed so your potential employer has an idea of the skills you’ve acquired. Another helpful tip is to look online at model resumes so you actually know what the final product is supposed to look like. If you want extended help, there are resources in the College and Career Center to shape your resume and find job listings.
2. Meet face to face.
Instead of just dropping off your resume with the nearest adolescent wearing the store t-shirt, ask if there is a manager that you could speak with. This allows the person hiring to put a face to your name and recognize you as an actual human being rather than just an application. If there isn’t a manager or boss around, ask when the best time to come back would be.
3. Present yourself well.
First impressions are extremely important. If you want an employer to trust you to represent their business, you need to present yourself as a responsible and mature person. Dress nicer than you would normally dress and make sure that you aren’t surrounded by friends, which could make you seem less professional. Lastly, be enthusiastic about the job and let the potential employer know that you like the store/restaurant/etc, and would love to be able to work there.
4. Be Patient.
After you complete all of the above, all you can do is wait. If you really want this specific job, send an email following up and thanking the employer for considering you. If not, apply to various jobs to have more odds of getting one of them.
While this entire process may seem daunting to someone doing it for the first time, it is an important process to learn.Getting a job in high school teaches you responsibility, reliability, and money management. Even if you may not need a job for financial reasons, the lessons you learn will prepare you for other jobs and leadership positions in the future.