Unseen Emergencies Club

Diversity Day, set up by the Tamalpais High School’s Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA), celebrated the diverse Tam community on April 28. This article is part of several that cover the day’s events and the clubs featured there. 
Unseen Emergencies, a club at Tamalpais High School that spreads awareness of global political issues, set up a booth and sign at Diversity Day.
Andrew Ismailer

Unseen Emergencies Club highlights ongoing issues and conflicts around the world especially in 3rd world countries. During their club meetings they select a developing country for three-week cycles and learn about the conflict, then as a group they plan fundraising events for the country. Their most common form of fundraising is bake sales; at the bake sales they raise money where all the proceeds go towards a nonprofit helping the selected country.

According to Charlotte Callagy, vice president of Unseen Emergencies, the club raises around $150 for at most of their bake sales. Callagy also emphasized the importance of the club and explained their goal at Diversity Day as a club.

“We want to spread awareness about what we do and get people to join our mail list so they can find when our bake sales happen and where they can make donations,” Callagy said. “We are trying to bring light to stuff that is going on in our world because typically media doesn’t continually report on large issues after it has been going on for a while and that’s where we feel we need to take action.” 

Additionally, to help out directly in their community, the club volunteers locally in San Francisco with GLIDE, an organization dedicated to social justice, fighting systemic injustices, and helping build opportunities out of poverty and crisis.