Bomb threat closes TUHSD schools Sept. 13

Tamalpais High School was closed today due to a district-wide bomb threat. Photo courtesy of CBS News.

All Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) campuses are closed Friday, Sept. 13 due to a bomb threat, according to a notification from district superintendent Tara Taupier.

“Due to a threat of violence sent to the District this morning, ALL SCHOOLS WILL BE CLOSED TODAY,” she wrote. “The threat did not specify a target site. Please remain home or return home if you are already on campus or in transit.”

The message was sent out on ParentSquare, an app used for school and districtwide announcements. The message was also sent through text message to Tam District community members and was delivered as many students were arriving at school. Staff were sent an additional notification informing them to leave campus immediately due to a bomb threat.

Tam senior Viridiana Calderon said she found out about the threat from Assistant Principal Sam Pasarow, who alerted students of a bomb threat as they were getting off the Marin Transit 17 bus.
The announcement left students in shock.

“This was not the start to the weekend I was expecting,” Tam freshman Dom Daher said. “School violence in America is crazy.”

“When I heard it, I was very confused and taken aback, but then I was like, ‘this is normal for American schools,’” Tam senior Ashylnn Haarig said.

The message to families did not specify what the threat entailed, but many students are on high alert as this comes nine days after a school shooting at Apalachee High School in Winder, Ga.

Neighboring Mill Valley Middle School (MVMS) remains open, according to Assistant Principal Jonna Palmer. Eighth-grader and MVMS student Sasha Luzato said members of the administration are trying to keep everyone calm and the school day running as normal.

“The Mill Valley Police Department has confirmed that no threat has been made to the Mill Valley School District. We will continue to monitor the situation and update the community as appropriate,” read a ParentSquare message sent out to all Mill Valley School District (MVSD) families.

The Tam News will continue to report on this story as more updates come in.

Additional reporting by Brigitte Whittle. 

Print this Story
About the Contributor
Gigi Cannelora
Gigi Cannelora, Features editor
Gigi Cannelora is a sophomore and a features editor on The Tam News. Outside of writing, they enjoy reading, rewatching Gilmore Girls, listening to podcasts, and snuggling their cats (Vallie and Callie).