Food Market for Latine Heritage Month

By Lauren Felder

The fourth and final lunch event held in celebration of Latine Heritage Month will be a food mercado on Oct. 14. The market, with free food provided by a variety of local Latine restaurants, will be located on the Ruby Basketball Court and open to all students and staff. 

“What we wanted to do was get foods from different regions of Latin America so we got Caribbean Spices for the Caribbean, Mexican food for Central America, and Mayan food to celebrate our ancestors,” senior and Latinos Unidos club President Jenni Ayala said.  

[Students attending] can expect La Cochinta, a Mayan Food truck, Lucinda’s which is Mexican, … and Caribbean Spices.”

Through event posters and tutorial announcements, excitement has been building among students. “I’m very excited about the diversity and easy access to a wider arrange of food that the food market will offer,” junior Kenji Shiro said. 

Prior to this event, Tam High’s Latinos Unidos, a Students of Color (SOC) affiliate club, hosted a game of Lotería on Sept. 22, button and bracelet making on Sept. 29, and a Latine culture Kahoot on Oct. 6. All three of these events were held in the student center and advertised around school, as well as through posts from both Leadership and SOC’s Instagram accounts. 

“Lots of people have been showing up, which I’m very happy about. Even non-Latino students are showing up so that makes me very happy the Tam community is also supporting us,” Ayala said.