Bay to Breakers 2014: A People Guide

Graphic by: Johanna Wong

This year’s Bay to Breakers race in San Francisco was much like any other. By 8 a.m. the streets were packed with the usual turnout of diverse participants. Here is a list of the different types of “outfits” seen this year at the parade, as well as an inside look on the thought process of those wearing them.

1. The Scantily-clad, sequin-bearing, paint covered teen brigade.

(40% of participants)

At 7 a.m. every year on this particular day, it seems that every adult from the Larkspur Ferry Terminal to the finish line fears the rowdy, drunken mass of Marin teenagers. Although some students are best known for being loud, sloppy and destructive, this year they officially earned a new demeaning adjective: bare. Whether it was a bikini, underwear, bra, spandex shorts, bro-tank or no shirt at all, every teenager seemed to abide by the same dress code of not really dressing at all. The trend of having spandex and sequins ride up in various nooks and crannies was the epitome of fashion this year for this age group.

2. The Racers

(45% of participants)

Ah, the people who actually run the Bay to Breakers. What a concept! To teenagers, these people may seem alien and overdressed even in their workout gear, but when it comes down to it, these are the people who make up the largest percentage of the participants These runners, always very well-hydrated and toned to the max, wear their tickets and Lulu Lemon athletic gear proudly as they sprint past the drunken participants. Although some may choose to make fun of these dedicated athletes, they must admire the runners’ bravery of running non-stop through a crowd of old naked men and wasted adolescents.

3. The “Creative” Costumers

(10% of participants)

We are all familiar with the smaller percentage of people in the race that spend weeks prior to the date planning and perfecting their one-of-a-kind costumes for the race. Although not dressed for either agility or weather, you could say that these people are the most dedicated out of the participants. Whether it is as a jellyfish made out of a clear umbrella or a homemade kissing booth, the costumers always look like they’re having the most fun.

4. The Nudists

(5% too many of participants)

Last but not least, the nudists. Everyone knows that along with participating in the race, whether running or stumbling, they will at one point run into someone wearing nothing but running shoes and a hat. At first, they may be alarmed at the (usually) saggy and wrinkly sight, but by the end of the race they are a pro at knowing which side of the road to walk on to avoid the nudists’ frequent requests to take pictures with them. (Gross!)

Graphic by: Johanna Wong
Graphic by: Johanna Wong