TUHSD Superintendent David Yoshihara Subs at Tam

Superintendent+David+Yoshihara+subs+for+Marcus+Jamisons+fifth+period+on+Wednesday%2C+October+28.+
Superintendent David Yoshihara subs for Marcus Jamison’s fifth period on Wednesday, October 28.

Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) superintendent David Yoshihara taught math teacher Marcus Jamison’s classes on Wednesday, October 28 as Jamison was unable to be at school that day. Yoshihara taught Jamison’s fifth period, tutorial, and seventh period classes.

Yoshihara said that, while working in the San Gabriel Unified School District prior to coming to the TUHSD, administrators would sub frequently when teachers were unable to make it to school. “Taking the opportunity to sub [as a senior administrator] is a statement of support for what our teachers do,” he said. “There are on occasion days when there are so many subs that are out that you’re short on subs. We took that as an opportunity to step in.”

Yoshihara sees senior District administrators stepping in as subs as an important gesture of support towards district teachers. “We’ve found that [senior administrators subbing] really receives a lot of kudos from teachers,” Yoshihara said. “Even though we’re all busy, we understand what it takes to help out. I think it sends a ‘we’re all on the same team’ message. We’re all about educating kids.”