Softball Playoff Picture

Softball Playoff Picture

Adam Tolson

The varsity softball team will enter the MCAL playoffs in a good spot. Lead by a strong underclassman core of sophomores Sofia Piambo, Olivia Page, and Kassidy Stetler, the Hawks have managed a 10-6 MCAL record (as of May 10). “I’m very impressed with how much we’ve improved since the beginning of the season,” said senior and captain Catalina Lane. “We still have technical errors but I think we’ve really bonded as a team and improved together which has helped us win the needed games.”

The team had a shaky start, as an inexperienced and underclassman-heavy squad, but have hit their stride towards the back half of the season. “After losing three of our top players last season, we were a bit worried coming into this year of softball.” sophomore Sofia Piambo said. “In the beginning of the season it was rough, learning how each of the new players play and getting use to each other again. But throughout the season we have connected as a team and we have come a long way.” Piambo has been a centerpiece of the Hawks’ offense, batting a remarkable .427 and leading the team in hits.

Sophomore Olivia Page agrees with Piambo. “We’ve had our ups and downs, especially in the beginning of the season but I think we are really coming together as a team.” she said. Page has been providing most of the run support for the season, leading the team in runs batted in (24) and home runs (2).

On the defensive side, sophomore Kassidy Stetler has been the workhorse on the mound. She has started every game at pitcher, and has accumulated 176 strikeouts on the year (as of May 10). “Kassidy’s pitching is phenomenal, she has shown us that working hard gets you where you want to go.” Piambo said.

The Hawks ended the regular season with a loss to the unbeaten San Marin and will begin MCAL playoffs at the fourth seed.