Student walk out turns into march against gun violence

By Jack McIntire, Managing Editor

The seniors in the Tamalpais High School Social Environmental Justice Action (SEJA) program hosted a walkout-turned-march against gun violence on April 5. 

The group met at the arches outside the front of the school and invited anyone willing to be out of class to support the cause. The protest began at 11:30 a.m. and students walked down Miller Avenue and Camino Alto for what ultimately amounted to over an hour. 

Gun violence, especially within American politics and debate, is an issue that has only increased in frequency in recent decades as it has become the number one cause of death in adolescents throughout the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).  

“Obviously gun violence is one of the top issues in America right now. It has become one of the biggest reasons for death here which is pretty troubling,” Dean of Students Nathan Bernstein said. 

“It means a lot to have so many people supporting the cause and it makes me wonder what it’s gonna take to start making some substantial changes. I love seeing the young kids out doing what they can and inspiring action,” he continued. 

The seniors who organized the march admitted they didn’t originally think much of it until the moments where it quickly grabbed traction as students flocked to the arches as soon as the clock hit 11:30 a.m. 

“This protest represents all of us students and kids around America banning together to fight this big problem,” Tam senior Hailey Moll said. “We are more than capable of doing something about it so coming together here is the first step.”

Fellow Tam senior and organizer of the march, Annabel Smith, explained that with such a broad issue being tackled, every voice matters and that is what was seen today during the protest.

“Having the march means a lot to me because, as a student, I don’t want to have to be scared every day of possible gun violence,” Smith said. “I keep seeing in the news week by week a new shooting happening in our country, and we are here to put an end to it. Tam is all about unity and this is exactly what unity looks like.” Unity was a theme that shined throughout the community of protesters. With limited time here at Tam, Interim Principal Liz Seabury came to the protest to demonstrate her support and represent her passion for a unified school. 

“I’m very against gun violence. This is the exact support that I’m looking for in this school’s community to bring us even closer. I care about you guys being safe and no matter what you are protesting, I want a safe place here for my students so I will do my part to support it,” Seabury said. 

Not only was the Tam community enthusiastic and proud of the overwhelmingly large turnout relative to other SEJA-led protests, but residents of Mill Valley came by to show their support and acknowledge the change the student body is seeking. 

“It means so much that so many of you students came here to protest for the community. Gun violence has gotten just terrible in the recent decades,” Tam alumni and citizen of Mill Valley Kendall Savelli said.

Local resident and Tam alumnus Steve Clements came to the scene as soon as he heard the commotion and chants echoing throughout the streets. 

“As someone who’s been around this community my whole life, I love seeing all these students get the ball rolling to make a difference. A difference that our generation didn’t push hard enough and something I care about to really change. My 18- and 20-year-old[s] just got out of Tam, so I would hate to see something like that [gun violence] happen here,” Clements said.