The Paradox of Being a Girl at Tam
By Ana Murguia, Op/Ed editor • March 28, 2024
Tackling consumerism with Harrison Engel
By Sophia Weinberg, Editor in Chief • March 28, 2024
Teacher by 7, coach by 4
By Elisa Cobb, Features Editor • March 28, 2024
The Redwoods Seniors for Peace
By Haley Lefferts, Features Editor • March 28, 2024
Mock Trial goes to state
By Jude Paine, News Editor • March 20, 2024
EDM in the Bay
By Josh GoldmanMarch 1, 2024
The benefits of WISE
By Hillary Betz, Graphics Editor • March 1, 2024

Subway proposes opening a new store in downtown Mill Valley

Subway

SubwaySubway is proposing to open one of its popular sandwich stores at29 Miller Avenue, in the recently vacated location of a closed Baskin Robbins. This possible new branch, which would be in addition to Subway’s existing Tam Junction location, will be discussed in a city planning commission meeting on February 27th. Community members are of differing opinions on this issue, which could bring a new and fairly inexpensive lunch option to hungry students with cars.

Some students, including junior Taylor Bontz, believe that the chain restaurant, well known for its “five dollar foot long” slogan, will alter the quaint character of downtown Mill Valley. “I think it really changes the atmosphere for the worse,” she said.

Sophomore Emily Burke expressed the same point of view. “I definitely wouldn’t eat at Subway if they opened downtown,” she said. “It’s a chain, and most stores downtown are small places that aren’t franchised. I think it doesn’t fit into the vibe downtown.”

Longtime Mill Valleyresident and middle school science teacher Bob Jacobs is opposed to the project as well. “People should voice their strong opinion against this move,” he said. He thinks that there should be “a master plan which prevents fast food restaurants from invading and thus affecting the character of the downtown area. Many people will tend not to go downtown if they have to see McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, Subway, Pizza Hut, etc. Those places just don’t look good surrounded by redwoods.”

The downtown locale has been slowly but surely becoming increasingly commercialized over the past years, and the Subway branch, which is proposing to operate seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., could bring in new traffic to the area, which could be either helpful or hurtful to the surrounding businesses.

“I like Subway, but whenever I go to downtown Mill Valley, I like seeing all the small businesses,” said junior Sergio Mora.

Sophomore Ben Knauer didn’t think that Subway would hurt the area. “I would eat there. […] I don’t think it is bad for the town because people have more choice of what to buy.”

Many people will tend not to go downtown if they have to see McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, Subway, Pizza Hut, etc. Those places just don’t look good surrounded by redwoods.

In a published letter to the editor in the Mill Valley Herald,Mill Valley resident Eve Wirth denounced the new Subway restaurant. “I have always felt that our city paid real consideration in supporting local businesses, preserving local character and showing a commitment to sustainability, while mindfully excluding chain stores,” she wrote. “So, how is it that the town is considering a second Subway sandwich franchise taking the place of Baskin Robbins in downtown Mill Valley? There are many health-conscious members of our community and I am mystified this is even being considered […] One Subway sandwich shop is enough.”

Whether it is detrimental or beneficial, a new Subway branch will alter the environment in downtown Mill Valley. Let the planning commission know your views at by attending the 7 p.m. meeting at City Hall Council Chambers, located at 26 Corte Madera Avenue, or emailing [email protected].