Price Jeffris: the University of Utah

Photo courtesy of Price Jeffris

Whether you know him by his signature No. 40 or his swag on the field, everyone can agree that Price Jeffris is the real deal. No. 40 scored 41 goals this past spring for the Tamalpais Hawks lacrosse team, contributing to the team’s second North Coast Section (NCS) championship in two years. 

Traveling from coast to coast this summer and playing in club lacrosse circuits, Jeffris drew attention from Division I colleges, prompting him to ultimately commit to the University of Utah. 

“It’s just such a beautiful place. I loved the outdoors and how it’s not near a city,” Jeffris said. 

University of Utah, surrounded by mountains and lush greens, attracted Jeffris along with its impressive lacrosse program. Led by Coach Andrew McMinn, the team has had a 22-9 record during McMinn’s tenure, while also winning an Atlantic Sun Conference championship. The Utes ended the season last May finishing 14th among Division I schools, while also being undefeated in conference games.

While participating in tournaments like Inside Lacrosse Invitational, Crab Feast, and Naptown all over the East Coast, Jeffris still trains and pushes himself to bring home his third NCS title for Tam. 

“He is tremendously passionate about the game and puts in extra time to be a student of the game, he loves it,” his coach, Michael Johnson said. 

Johnson has been a coach at Tam for the past eight years and repeatedly spoke about how Jeffris is not only skilled but also curious.  Jeffris is always learning and strives to get better at the game, Johnson said.

Jeffris also puts a strong focus on his academics and has outstanding grades.

“Balancing the two helps me learn to manage my time better,” Jeffris explained. He said he is not intimidated by the advanced classes he is taking, and is hoping to come out of college with knowledge and skills to help support him in a professional environment. 

Though he doesn’t plan to play lacrosse after college, Jeffris said he is still fully committed to improving as much as possible and having a successful career at Tam and Utah. 

During his first two years at Tam, Jeffris was taken under the wing of now  freshman at Connecticut College Chris Travers. Travers was voted All-American player by the USA Lacrosse Magazine in 2023 and scored the most goals by a defensive player in Tam lacrosse history.

“Watching Chris every day training, watching someone with that work ethic that many people don’t have,” Jeffris said as he recounts the training sessions he would have with Travers where he would get completely toppled by the then senior.

“I just like seeing him celebrate when he scores, he looks funny, I love it,” Travers said. 

Travers said he knew Jeffris was bound to commit to a school sooner rather than later, considering the tremendous summer he had. Travers also reminisced on how Jeffris was a clear outlier in the clubhouse and on the field. He was pushing himself “100 percent, no matter who was watching,” Traver said, and this was what was most distinguishable about Jeffris. That and his passionate celebrations. 

Jeffris has two years left at Tam and hopes to bring home his third straight NCS title while also trying to win a Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) championship.

“This spring we are gonna be the team to beat. I can’t wait to continue our legacy and bring back our third straight (NCS) title.” Jeffris said.