Prabh Indian Kitchen: A Healthy, Delicious Option for Ethnic Food Lovers

Prabh Indian Kitchen in downtown Mill Valley is hands down the best Indian restaurant in Marin. Although Prabh is most well-known for its sit-down dinner experience, the lunch box meals are just as appealing, and can be made in 10 minutes or less. The lunch box contains rice, naan (traditional Indian flat bread) and your choice of curry or masala, all for eight dollars.

In the quick moving and cutthroat eating market of downtown Mill Valley, it’s hard to keep track of which restaurant is new and which is newer. Unbeknownst to me, this past June ownership of the restaurant landed in the hands of Herjeet Singh, who opened Prabh Indian Kitchen. I was immediately grateful for the new restaurant when I tasted my first piece of naan. After talking to manager Sumesh Rijal and eating a few dishes, I could tell that Mill Valley was in for a treat.

Photo by: Justin Schmidt

Rijal says the food turns out so delectable because of the unique, aromatic spices they use.

“This type of cooking originated in the Punjab region of Northern India,” Rijal said. “Our chef has been cooking this type of food since he was 10 years old.” Not only are the kinds of spices important, Singh says the proportions and time spent preparing each flavor, are too. The integration of fresh ingredients and savory spices results in concoctions rivaling that of even downtown Mill Valley’s Avatar’s Punjabi.

Another way it stands out from typical Indian restaurants is by serving healthy and ecologically friendly food. Prabh buys free range and organic meats, as well as organic and local produce. They have options for gluten free and vegan diets as well. My favorite item on the menu is the Channa Masala, which consists of garbanzo beans tempered in an herb sauce. Not too spicy but not too sweet, the chef brings out the subtle but creamy taste of the garbanzo beans with expertise. Served with a side of two pieces of perfectly baked Naan, this makes quite a meal.

However, a specialty rendition of Chicken Tikka Masala made with Tandoori chicken is a force to be reckoned with; it’s their house specialty for a reason.

A meal at Prabh wouldn’t be complete without tasting another house specialty, the Mango Lassi, and the Rose Lassi. Made by mixing yogurt with fresh mangos and rosewater, the Mango Lassi is tangy, sweet, and bursting with flavor.

Prabh Indian Kitchen is a great venue for a quick, delicious lunch, or a pleasant dining experience with parents or friends at a somewhat reasonable price point. No matter which you choose, the deal gets sweeter if you are a Tam student, because Prabh is currently offering a 20% discount for any student who presents his or her student I.D.