Chinese New Year: the year of the dragon
By Ashley Townsend, Lifestyles editor • February 13, 2024
Celebration of Black Excellence in Marin
By Emerson Swift, Features Editor • February 12, 2024
CAASPP Testing is Moving to March
By Hillary Betz, Graphics Editor • February 12, 2024
Slim pickings for parking
By Molly Eisenberg, Reporter • February 6, 2024

Season Preview: Boys’ Swimming Looks to Reclaim MCAL Title

Haechler takes a break in the middle of his tough practices. Haecher swims for both Marin Pirates and Tam High

After a strong second place finish in MCALs last year, the boys’ swim team is looking to reestablish their title as the best team in the league, a title they have won four consecutive times in the previous four years. Despite losing two Division One swimmers (Elliot Ordway to UCLA water polo, and Miguel Mattox to Fordham University swimming), the Hawks have three returning seniors as well as a group of talented underclassmen.

Current team captain and senior Sean Heckler has committed to Division One swimming at Villanova, and will lead the Hawks along with fellow senior Dylan Decotis and experienced junior (and Tam News reporter) Daniel Carroll.

Sophomore Theo Andrews sophomore, has been working hard in the off season on the competitive club team North Bay Aquatics. Other Tam swimmers have been training with similar programs such as the Marin Pirates–work that will surely pay off down the road for the Hawks.

Looking forward to his second year with the boys’ swim team, coach Ken Weber stated, “ We are looking to reclaim our MCAL title, and we are out to beat Redwood. I believe we have greater depth [than Redwood] and that could be the decider.” Weber has confidence in his swimmers. “Sean will hopefully take first in Butterfly, and Theo will do well in the 100 freestyle,” he said. Weber believes that their title chances are good this year because the team has doubled the amount of club swimmers from last year’s two to this year’s four.