Future Seawolf: Bella Amyx

John Hefti

Senior Bella Amyx signed a letter of intent to play Soccer with the Sonoma State Seawolfs on national signing day February 4th and will recieves a significant scholarship. Sonoma State is a division two school for soccer and ranked 11th in the nation. “It was very difficult to choose between the schools.” Amyx said, “University of Pacific and Portland State are Divison one schools, while Sonoma State in division two. But the divison one schools were ranked lower in their league and didn’t have as good as a record as Sonoma State. I chose Sonoma because I wanted to have the opportunity to have a college life and play a competitive level of soccer at the same time. and Sonoma offered me both. Plus being close to home was an advantage.”

Amyx verbally commited to Sonoma State in the summer of 2014, she will be attending there in the fall of 2015. Signing the letter commits yourself to the school, meaning if she drops out of the sport, you will no longer get a scholarship to go to the school. The official season will start in the fall and will practice six days a week. Amyx is also hoping to join Track.

“My freshman year I considered running in college but it started to become more and more clear that I enjoy soccer more and it’s much easier for me to improve at soccer than running.” Amyx said, I never fully knew where I wanted to go to college but the whole recruiting process made Sonoma available to me.

College recruiting for soccer started Amyx sophmore year when she went to showcases for Marin Football Club. College scouts woud sitting on the sideline and look over a list of players. Before every showcase players would send a letter to a school they were interested in and after each showcase players would get responses from colleges.

“It’s so nerve racking, you are just sitting there playing a game and you make a pass and you watch all the coaches wearing there college sweateshirts writing things down.” Amyx said “Up until about your senior year, you are only allowed to contact colleges you in interested in , they are not allowed to talk to you. Then in your junior year you start going to ID camps where you pay to play with the team and other girls who are interested in the same colleges that you are.” Amyx will start playing soccer over the summer with Sonoma and starts school in the fall of 2015. ♦IMG_2306