Tam volleyball says goodbye to senior players

In an emotional match on, October 22, Tam girls volleyball lost to Drake 20-25, 15-25, and 15-25, in their final home competition of the season.
After a close loss to Justin Sienna just two days prior, the entire team brought their energy and spirit with them to the court as they celebrated senior co-captains Sareesha Nile and Karleen Schuldt’s last home match of the season.  Coming into the game, the team knew they were facing a formidable opponent; Drakes’ team was last years MCAL champion.  But despite the intimidation, Tam’s volleyball team played their best.
“I think the fact that it was our senior’s last [home match] really affected all of us and drove us to play our hardest, and really work together as a team,” said sophomore Claire Geyer.

“We had a very close game.  If we had pushed a little harder we would have taken them down,”  said senior captain Karleen Schuldt of the earlier game against Justin Sienna.
After such a close game, the team was hungry for a win.  Everyone was upset to lose again at the home game against Drake later that week.  But despite their loss, the entire team worked hard at the seniors’ final home game at Tam.

“Aubrey McKinney had some amazing assists as she always does,” said Geyer, “Karleen Schuldt really kicked it into high gear and got a bunch of kills, and Shoshana Hertzog stepped it up with her hitting.”

“Everyone put their best out there,” said Schuldt.  But the real emotional part of the evening was saying goodbye to the seniors who will be graduating Tam at the end of this year.

Before the game Schuldt and Nile were called onto the court.  On behalf of the entire team, juniors Darcie Richie and Lizzie Benson gave heartfelt goodbye speeches to Nile and Schuldt respectively.  The seniors also got giant cards signed by the entire team.  “It was a really great year,” said Nile.“I’m going to miss all the girls, we’ve all gotten pretty close.”

“I know we’re going to feel their loss next year,” said Geyer, “But there are a few JV girls ready to step up and I know that our coach Casey [Mondragon] and the team are excited to welcome them onto the court with us.”

“Both [Schuldt and Nile] contributed to the teams in different ways that were really important,” said McKinney, “Everyone wanted to make that night special for our seniors.”

Written by Hannah Berman. This artcile originally appeared in the December 2010 issue.