Six feet apart

(Ethan Swope)

The novel coronavirus has brought the world into uncharted territory. California has been under the instruction to shelter in place since March 17, causing a dramatic shift in our daily lives. Tam has transitioned into online learning, and sports, extracurriculars, and social activities have been canceled. So many things are up in the air, and there is no telling when things are going to return to normal. This feature illustrates a snapshot of what California’s shelter in place order entails, outlining the experiences members of the Tam community are going through.

As of April 3, orange states are those who have a state order to stay at home, and those with lines have orders in parts of the state. (Isabella Faillace)

I feel as though some kids are missing out on getting an education while others aren’t. (Kylie Frame, senior)

(Ethan Swope)

I honestly think school from home has been easier. I have more freedom to create my own schedule and do homework whenever I decide to, which gives me an opportunity to develop useful time management skills. I also notice myself getting assigned more homework than usual. (Colin Greg, sophomore)

(Emily Stull)

I have been making the best of a trying situation. The one-on-one connections you make with your students is one of the best parts of teaching so remote teaching is tough! One of my main goals during this school closure has been to try and keep my lessons as interactive as possible. While it has been good to develop the digital side of my teaching, I really miss being at school and most of all I miss my students. (Arielle Lehmann, social studies teacher)

(Ethan Swope)

I have been alright with the school closures so far. I have been very lucky because taking a harder course load has taught me how to teach myself on my own in the past. I think there needs to be more support for students struggling to cope with their academic and home situation. (Anonymous, junior)

(Emily Stull)

Overall the quarantine has been hard but whenever I think about how hard it has been to stay away from others, I also try and think about the things that I am grateful for. That my parents are lucky enough to still be employed, that we have food on the table, and this beautiful area surrounding us fit for hiking and fresh air. I think that I am lucky to have that community but I miss it more than anyone could imagine. (Sophia Brooks, junior in Team program)

(Ethan Swope)

It’s definitely been very weird. You can definitely tell that most customers are being very cautious and trying to respect our space as well, which is nice — but there are also some customers who still seem oblivious to what is going on. (Charlie Osborn, employee at Juice Girl, senior)

It’s been a strange transition. I find it more challenging to stay organized, but I am able to get my work done very fast.  Even though I can still get my work done on time, I find that it is way more effective to learn in the classroom then it is to learn from home. (Ben Hasen, sophomore)

The thought of not stepping foot on the lacrosse field ever again is something I am having trouble wrapping my head around. Lacrosse has been a huge part of my life since before I can remember, and I can’t believe I may have played my last game without even realizing it. (Kylie Frame, senior)