Boys Tennis Wins MCAL Championship

The Tam boys’ tennis team defeated Redwood five matches to four to win the MCAL championship on Thursday, April 26, at San Rafael High. The Hawks were defeated by Redwood twice during the regular season.

With the previous week’s loss to Redwood (7-2) still in their minds, Tam knew it had to turn things around. “We caught them on a day when we were just really really determined,” head coach Bill Washauer said.

“Our team was incredibly focused and motivated to win, especially since, in previous years, we have lost to Redwood,” said senior and co-Captain William Roddy, whose 6-2, 6-1 victory against Redwood’s Devin Whelpley after several previous loses in the matchup, was instrumental in the win.

With the two teams tied, having both won four matches, juniors Collin Prell and Sam Settleman rallied back from a 5-4 hole to win the second set and force a decisive third set in the number one doubles match. “We started pretty sluggishly, and then as our teammates came behind us and started cheering us on, we started to play a lot better,” said Settleman. Ultimately, the two came through in the tiebreaker and dominated the final set, winning 3-6, 7-6, 6-2.

In the MCAL individuals tournament on Wednesday May 2nd, Roddy and sophomore Mason Marks won the doubles and junior Finn Taylor made it to the semi-finals in the singles tournament. The team won their first NCS match against Berkley High School on Tuesday, May 8. They face off  against Redwood again on Thursday, May 10, in the time in the NCS quarterfinals.