Administration and ASB host senior events amidst shelter in place

The class of 2020. (Courtesy of Tam administration)

By Jessie Tempero

To prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Tam administration is hosting a variety of end-of-year senior events online and on-campus while maintaining social distancing measures.

These events began with online prom which was hosted on Saturday, May 23 by the administration and the Associated Student Body (ASB). The Golden State Warriors DJ, DJ DS#ARP, performed live over Zoom for juniors and seniors.

“For me, the most fun thing about prom is going and buying a dress and getting your makeup done and being with a big group of friends and none of that could happen, but, that aside, I think they [administration] did the best that they could,” senior Kylie Frame said. “I’m on Leadership so we spent the past four years planning prom … it was gonna be the reward for all the hard work we had put in, so it was definitely very tough to let that one go.”

Administration asked seniors to pick up their caps and gowns from the school along with additional senior items on Friday, May 29. Seniors were also told to bring their textbooks, library books, and any additional school materials they needed to return. This did not include school computers, which should be returned to the main office on Monday, June 8. 

A farewell rally for seniors, led by emcees Sean Loder and Sammy Blair, was live-streamed at 6 p.m. on Friday, May 29.

The administration hosted a mandatory senior class Zoom meeting at 11 a.m. on Monday, June 1, during which the senior brunch was held. The following day, administrators worked with the PTSA to post a video presentation for Class of 2020 awards on Tuesday, June 2.

Administration and ASB will host a drive-through graduation ceremony for seniors to attend with their immediate family in no more than one car from June 9 through June 11.

According to the Tam Senior Sheet, “All participants must remain inside the vehicle at all times and only the graduate, with a mask on, will be allowed out of the car momentarily to receive [a temporary] diploma.” Official diplomas will be mailed to students later on. There will be a commencement ceremony with speeches from teachers and students available in a video collection for students to view Thursday, June 11. 

“The one thing that won’t change about in-person versus virtual or distance [graduation] is that feeling you get of success,” senior and former Tam News reporter Lola von Franque said. “I’m glad that I’m still getting that little, final event.”